Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Viewsonic

I have a little mischief in me. I get it from my Papa Johnnie. He had it, too.

I love to pick at people. Freshmen are really fun to trick. They haven’t already seen or heard my little pranks so they are easy targets.

A couple of years ago, I scooted a computer monitor and a little piece of the hard plastic stayed behind. It was slightly rounded on the front edge. It had little handles that protruded out much like ear pieces. For all the world, it looked like a little 3-D viewer that we used to have. It was emblazoned with “VIEWSONIC” across the front.

As one might expect, I picked it up and looked at it wondering what I could do with it. It was absolutely useless. It was just a piece of hard plastic and it didn't move or anything. Then, it struck me.

I held it up to my eyes pretending to look into it. I’d “Ooh” and “Ahh” and giggle while swaying back and forth. I sold the idea that I was looking at something inside.

The little freshmen would walk up and say “I want to see.” I’d hand it to them and immediately pretend that I had some other work to do so that my face was turned the other way. They’d turn it every which way and look it over really well. Then, invariably, they’d ask, “How does this thing work?”

I’d try to contain my laughter, but usually, I’d have to turn around and laugh my hardest. I had “gotten” them to fall for the hoax.

If I was really lucky, the other kids in the room would not be paying attention and later they’d ask to see it, too. I’d get to use it over and over during the class period and I’d get to laugh every time.

Ahhh... the mischief.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're evil. That's why I love you.