Thursday, November 29, 2007

Spite

Have you ever heard someone say, “I just did it out of spite?” I have. Why would anyone want to be spiteful? What purpose does it serve? Do they really feel better after being vindictive? Does getting even make them feel better about themselves? I doubt it. Why would someone possess malicious ill will prompting them to hurt or humiliate others? I don’t keep company with negative, spiteful people because I don’t understand spiteful people. Maybe if I were spiteful, I could understand their desire to harm others or to see others suffer, but I’m not a spiteful person so I don’t understand them.

Is it posturing like, “I’ll show you.”? Is it a control factor? I can only think that they choose to be spiteful because they feel powerless to control other people any other way. Is revenge really that sweet? To take revenge requires planning, tenacity and skill. All of which are learned traits. They don’t come about naturally. Some families come to mind as being especially spiteful because it is manifested over the generations.

I suppose I could ask a spiteful person these questions, but I doubt that they could answer them because they probably don’t recognize themselves as being spiteful. It’s hard to believe that some people actually revel in others’ personal anguish. I just can’t understand such unkindness and I never will. I wasn’t raised that way.

1 comment:

Britney said...

You are in America so speak American. That is just like you B.C. I love your random comments. Yeah, those types of people don't have a place in my life. I believe in second chances, but just like J.P. once I have had enough--that's it. What is so funny about these people is that they ALWAYS find a way to be the victim.