
Today is infusion day. I've been looking forward to it for a while now. I became symptomatic again about two weeks ago. That's a little earlier than normal. I usually don't have problems until a few days to a week before. After today, I will begin to feel like myself again and not this sickly, lethargic person I've been.
I compare the infusion to filling a gas tank. I've been running on fumes and my body needs to be refueled with liquid gold. I call it that because it is so expensive.
Today, I will see old friends at the hospital. There are five of them who rotate. For more than three years, every eight weeks like clockwork, I go in to the ACS for my infusion. The treatment setting has evolved over those years. The first time I went in, I sat in a straight back chair and watched a small tabletop television that only received 3 fuzzy channels. Over time, that situation has changed. Now, when I go in, both my husband and I have nice leather recliners to sit in. The nurses (my friends) have the wall-mounted remote controlled cable TV on and tuned in to HGTV because they know that's my favorite at that time of day.
They start the IV and after two hours of visiting and catching up, I get to go home. I schedule my next infusion for exactly eight weeks later and so the cycle begins again.
This afternoon I will be very tired and sleepy. Tomorrow, I will begin to regain some of my strength and most of the symptoms will begin to subside. By Wednesday, I should be good to go. Mostly, when it it is time for my infusions it's like a little bump in the road, but this time, I've had more symptoms earlier. Who knows why?
By Thanksgiving, I'll be refueled, recharged, rested and ready. Bring it on!




No comments:
Post a Comment