Thursday, November 8, 2007

Rewards

In the teaching profession, there are many rewards. The salary is certainly not enough. However, the rapport I build with my students is.

Today, I received a college graduation invitation for the December commencement at Texas State University. The former student who sent it to me “chose” me early on. By that I mean that when he was a freshman in high school, he began his business track intending to complete it. He chose to take every course that I taught while he was in high school.

His mom told me one time how much he enjoyed my classes and how he loved me. Until then, I really hadn’t noticed, but I decided to take note from then on.

Every time he entered my classroom, his face would light up and he’d flash that toothy grin, then my face would reciprocate. He seemed so eager to please. He worked hard and made good grades.

During football season, he’d beg me to come to watch him play junior varsity football.

If you’ve ever been to a JV football game, you know just how exciting they are. . . not. However, remembering what his mother had told me, I’d unenthusiastically go to the home JV games just to watch him because it seemed to mean so much to him. He’d always know whether or not I was really there. I guess he looked up in the stands, but I never really noticed.

The day after he’d ask, “Did you see me tackle that guy?”

Of course, I’d say “Yeah. I did. Good job.”

The next year, he played varsity football. He played on offense every play and sometimes on defense. He was a good player, but he didn’t get a lot of recognition mostly because of his position.

At the end of every game, when we’d gather to sing the school song, he’d search through the crowd in the stands to make sure that I was there. Whenever he found me, he’d lift his helmet up and down by the face mask three or four times and grin widely as if to say, “Hi. I see you. I’m glad you’re here.”

I don’t really know why he “chose” me, but he did. At first, I was only somewhat honored, but as time passed and I saw how much my being present at his football games meant to him, I embraced the task.

By the time his junior and senior years rolled around, he insisted that I wear his photo button. Of course, I wore it proudly. He never passed me in the hallway without calling my name so I’d notice him. It was always followed quickly by a big hug and smile.

The night he graduated from high school, he sought me out of the crowd and gave me a big, long-lasting hug and told me how much he would miss me and how much he appreciated me supporting him. Even though he was a “big old boy”, he teared up. I have to add that I did, too, because although I had been bewildered by this bond, I could not deny that it existed.

Whenever he would return home from college, he’d look me up just to catch me up on what he was doing and how he was progressing. It has taken him almost five years to complete his college education, but he persevered. I know that he will succeed in whatever he undertakes because he sets and reaches his goals.

I’m so proud of him. He’s grown into a fine young man. I know his Mom is proud, too. Knowing and teaching him was one of my best rewards.

No comments: