Friday, November 30, 2007

Keeping My Mouth Shut

One of the hardest lessons I have learned is when to keep my mouth shut. After years of practice, I have become more skilled at it. It has taken a long, long time to apply those skills consistently, though, because I just naturally like to interact with people. But, there are benefits to keeping my mouth shut and not telling everything I know.

Don't misunderstand. gossip intrigues me as much as the next person. I just don't like to perpetuate it.

When I was a little girl, Mom used to say that she could tell me anything because I would never repeat it. I’ve pretty much remained that way.

However, as I grew older, there was a time when I would speculate about answers to questions when I really didn’t know the answer. I relied on my intuition to reply and that certainly proved unreliable. Only after my instincts demonstrated inaccuracy on numerous occasions, did I learn to not hypothesize.

Initially I felt compelled to defend a baseless rumor I had heard a while back. To do that would have meant alienating people and forcing them to choose sides. Instead, I decided to keep my mouth shut. Although it was very difficult, it turned out to be the best. That was a hard lesson, but one well worth practicing.

Grandmother Johnnie used to teach me that if I couldn’t say something nice not to say anything at all. I guess I took that lesson to heart.

Like everyone else, I have opinions, but I try not to express them unless I’m asked. But then, I give my frank views and just hope that no one is offended. After all, they sought my opinion and it is just that, my opinion.

I can also truthfully say that I don’t get in other people’s business either. I don’t want anyone interfering in my business, so I steer clear of theirs. Whenever people around me have differing viewpoints, I usually don’t take sides. I try to listen with an open mind. If necessary, I advise all parties involved where I stand so that there’s no misunderstanding.

Like we’re taught in the Bible, if I have a problem with someone (and if my relationship with them matters to me), I go directly to them to discuss it. We may go away from each other agreeing to disagree, but at least we have had a dialogue and we understand each other’s ideas and we’ve made our points.

I also believe in second chances. That’s the right thing to do. Once I’ve been wronged, I allow a second chance. But, when someone has blown the second chance, it’s like putting my hand into a box of rattlesnakes, I’ll not do that again.

No comments: