Monday, October 15, 2007

Angel Unaware

Sometimes when I least expect it, I receive a blessing and so it was last Wednesday.

It started as just another mundane, non-descript day. Nothing special about it. I had gotten to school early to do some paperwork. I went to my duty station and then I got on with my classes. The students were all well-behaved and I felt good about the lessons I had presented.

That afternoon because our maintenance man was spraying for insects in our hallway, I left my room a little earlier than usual. On my way home, I stopped by Haile’s Convenience Store to buy our weekly newspaper. Again, nothing special. I do the same thing most Wednesdays.

I parked and walked inside to pick up the newspaper and pay the clerk. As I turned around to leave, I heard a sweet voice behind me say, “Hello, Brenda. How are you today?” That in and of itself surprised me. Nowadays, it’s not so common for someone to call me by my first name. I whipped around to see who had spoken to me.

It was Sylvia Haile. She had a soft, sweet smile on her face. She had paused in her journey across the floor taking some papers to the office. I replied, “I’m just fine. How about you?”

“Oh, I’m doing well.”

“How about your grandchildren?”

“They’re all fine, too. Just growing up so fast.”

“I haven’t seen you in a long time. It’s good to see you again. Take care.”

“You, too.”

Something inside made my heart leap. I walked away with a wonderful, warm feeling. This simple exchange had “made” my day. I smiled the rest of the evening as I reflected on seeing Sylvia.

Now I count Sylvia is a friend alright. She’s one of the kindest, gentlest, most beautiful women I know. She’s a wonderful mother to her three boys and a wonderful grandmother to their families. We have gone to church together for some twenty years. However, I wouldn’t characterize our relationship as close.

It really touched me that Sylvia had taken the time out of her busy day working at the convenience store to pause and single me out by name just to say hello.

So often people just go about their way and are too busy to exchange greetings except for a quick grunt or nod.

I could not let her simple, gracious act go without acknowledgement. At church on Sunday, during our fellowship hymn, I sought Sylvia out. She was in the choir. I approached her and told her just how much her kindness touched me. She was so surprised. She thanked me for telling her. With mist in both our eyes, we hugged, exchanged compliments, and returned to our seats.

A simple exchange between two women strengthened our bonds and our faith.

On Wednesday, God sent me an angel, unaware that she blessed my life.

Thank you, Lord, and thank you, Sylvia. I needed that.