“Always look a person in the eye. If a person doesn’t have a good countenance, then they are no account.” --my Grandmother Johnnie Massingill
“Believe in yourself. Never bend your head. Hold it high. Look the world straight in the eye.” --Helen Keller; significant because Helen Keller was blind.
So often these days, I notice people just going about their daily lives in such a swift pace that they don't even acknowledge others as they encounter them. To establish eye contact is more and more uncommon. People often seem surprised to find someone looking back at them. I suppose it is because of my Momo Johnnie's influence that I have always looked people in the eyes. I believe that most other people respect that countenance. I have always interpreted it as having confidence and a positive demeanor. Momo Johnnie undoubtedly equated a good countenance with good character. I'd like to think thatI possess those qualities.
However, I find that whenever I am in the city, I am hesitant to look people in the eyes because we are cautioned that doing so could be dangerous. It is very difficult for me to change my ways though, so I accompany the eye contact with a broad smile hoping to send an assuring message.
Funny how body language can tell us so much about each other, isn't it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
It's all about your being able to look them in the eyes, Grandma Johnnie wouldn't think you were "any account" if you couldn't.
Katy
Mom,
I love you.
Thanks,
BC
Post a Comment