Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Born Again

About a year after the bombing in Oklahoma City, a documentary came on television named “Oklahoma City: A City Reborn.” My ten-year-old son and I were sitting on the sofa watching the program. We were engrossed by the images as the story unfolded. I could tell that he was intensely interested.

After a few minutes, he turned to me and said, “Mom, I’ve heard that word ‘reborn’ before. I think it was at Sunday school.”

“Yes, it probably was.” I answered quickly because I didn’t want to miss anything on the program.

“Mom, what does ‘reborn’ mean?” he asked.

Because there was a long commercial break, I carefully explained what being ‘reborn’ in the Biblical sense meant. I continued that it was associated with being baptized.

The program came back on and we were once again captivated. He asked, “Mom, we’re Baptists aren’t we? That’s why I was baptized, right?”

I promptly replied “Yes,” hoping that he would stop with the questions because he was interrupting my concentration.

“Mom, didn’t you grow up Methodist?” he quizzed.

At that moment, the program was once again interrupted by commercials. “Yes, I did, son.”

I turned to him intending to explain how that change had transpired. Before I could begin, he asked the most unexpected and amusing question. “Mom, if I had grown up Methodist, would I have been Methotized?”

Needless to say, I still chuckle today when I think of his logic.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks mom. Just what I needed - everyone to know how much of dad I have in me sometimes. Go on and stick it to the bullet!