Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Narcissism

Several people who read yesterday’s blog asked me what narcissistic tendencies are. By definition, a narcissistic personality is one characterized by an inflated sense of self-importance and an extreme preoccupation with one’s self.

Usually, they envy and expect that others are envious as well. They are self-absorbed individuals who have a pronounced lack of interest in and empathy for others. They expect people to be devoted to them, but have no impulse to reciprocate, being unable to identify with the feelings of others or anticipate their needs. Narcissistic people often enter into relationships based on what other people can do for them.

The person with narcissistic tendencies quickly strays from situations where he or she is not the center of attention and conversation.

I hope that clears it up. Do you know someone like this?

1 comment:

Britney said...

Hmmm.....seems like I know...er um knew a few. I tend to stay away from them now though. My momma always told me, "If you stick your hand in a box full or rattlesnakes and get bit, don't stick your hand back in the second time." Smart momma.