Thursday, May 1, 2008

Testing


We are currently in the midst of the annual chaos called TAKS testing that someone in our state government deemed as "the" test of student skills.

I think it is really just a minimal skills test. I'm told that the questions are written questions for each subject area of the test. If a child has a problem reading or comprehending, then they are in a pickle. For some, the test is very elementary. For others, it is a challenge. In either event, the test puts pressure on the students to perform (especially at the exit level). Some students take the test seriously because they realize the ramifications of passing it (or not). Others just blow it off as yet another chance to fail. We all know that some students do not perform well on tests.

Linking the TAKS test scores to the school's report card dictates that the powers that be require a great performance on the tests. That, in turn, means that teachers must teach to the test rather than being able to teach the content that will truly interest the students. The teachers are unable to share the things they have learned and experienced in each of their disciplines in the manner that the students learn best. What emerges is a cattle call. Driving the students through the gates of TAKS objectives learning so that they can perform. It becomes a trickle down effect from the Texas Legislature, to TEA, to the school board, to the superintendent, to the principal, to the teachers, to the students. All entities feel the heat.

I remember some of my teachers who shared their stories of bygone experiences and distant travels. They used these to bring the world a little closer to home and make my learning more relevant. Not only did they keep my attention, they kept me engaged in the learning process so that I could clearly see the usefulness of what I was learning. I have to ask: Does the TAKS test allow for the same? I think not.

I agree that students must learn a prescribed set of objectives like our TEKS outline. I also think that we should expect the very best from our students. When we do, they tend to give their very best. However, to take the opportunity away to experience greater material and ideas than those presented on the TAKS test is a disservice to our teachers and to our students. Is this what is best for our students?

No wonder that great teachers leave the profession because of frustration. They come in expecting to share their learning and to impart their wisdom only to be told that their students must score well on the TAKS test. . . or else.

Those of us who teach elective classes are somewhat relieved, however, we also must reinforce the learning from other disciplines within our classes. So, even we are not really off of the fire.

Please keep our little students and our teachers in your thoughts and prayers this week as they take and pass their TAKS tests so that they can prepare to be our future leaders. Does that not sound odd? Think about that for a while.

There must be a better way.

No comments: