Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Mole

If anyone knows me very well, they know that if I'm sworn to secrecy, the secret is safe with me. My mom said I used to beat anyone she ever knew at being able to keep things to myself. So, when Chad requested that I not tell of his big adventure, I did as he asked. However, now that the deadline has passed, I am relieved that I can reveal the details.

I've always told my children that they can do or be whatever they choose. I know that if they set their minds to it, they can reach their goals. One of Chad's goals has been to appear on a reality TV show. Mind you, I think he's crazy, but nevertheless, it is something to which he aspires. In December, he applied to be on "Big Brother". He didn't get a response. He was glad, however, once the show came on the air because the players were teamed up and he would not have liked that aspect of the show.

In January, he applied for "The Mole". The application was sixteen pages long and very involved. He persevered through it and submitted it. Well, lo and behold, he received an e-mail from Scott Wissener, the casting agent for "The Mole" requesting more information. They e-mailed back and forth for a couple of weeks. At first, Scott requested a two-minute video. So, Chad and his Aggie friends made a video and sent it to him. Next, he wanted to talk to Chad on the phone and ask him some additional questions. Then they spoke on the phone several times. If you know Chad, you know that he did his homework. He did quite a bit of detective work and found that Scott Wissener was, indeed, a big wig in the film industry. He also found a former competitor on "The Mole" who had been an Aggie. That competitor actually lived in Austin. So, he contacted him for any tips that he might offer.

Finally, after the casting call in Austin, where several thousand would-be Moles auditioned, Mr. Wissener told Chad that he wanted him to come back to Austin for an interview on February 14th at the Doubletree Hotel on 15th street. The former Aggie Mole competitor said he would meet Chad there. So, he went. I admit I was a little leary, but he had checked it out and was convinced that it was legit.

So, he found his way to the Doubletree Hotel and signed in. He was told in which room the casitng director would meet him. He proceeded there and met with Scott Wissener and his assistant. The interview lasted several minutes and he was asked a multitude of questions. They were especially interested in his competitive nature. He expounded on that subject quite a bit. At the end of the interview, they told him that they would contact him if they needed more info. I figure that was the old Hollywood adage, "Don't call us, we'll call you" thing.

I don't believe that he had any further direct contact with the casting agent or his assistant after that. And, as you might expect, he was not chosen to be on "The Mole". If he had been chosen, he would have been whisked out of the country to Europe (Spain first) and he would have not been able to have any contact with any of us until all of the filming had ended. In retrospect, it was good that he wasn't chosen. He would have missed his Nonnie's funeral and Brit's great news. Since his family is Chad's top priority he wouldn't have wanted to miss either of those events. I think that God was watching out for him.

Chad thinks he was too "green" at the reality show business to be chosen this time, but he was absolutely thrilled to have a call back. That' s a lot closer than anyone else he knows hass ever gotten before. Who knows, next time he might make it and be on TV. In any event, I know that he will keep on trying until he either gets on a show or tires of the efforts.

No comments: