Friday, August 1, 2008

Progress

I have graduated myself from a walker to a cane. It seemed like I was relying too heavily on the walker and in order to recover in the upright position, instead of being bent over that I needed to proceed with a cane. So far, it has gone pretty well.

My back has stopped oozing so Dr. Verner said to leave it uncovered. I'm a little apprehensive, but I'll do what he wants anyway. I just hope that it doesn't cause me any embarrassment.

There are some things that I've learned from this incident:

  • If unusual things are going to happen, they can and will happen to me.
  • Don't pick at or pop any skin abnormality--ever--says the doctor.
  • Nerves can really make a difference in how a person's body performs.
  • If you stay in the hospital for 12 days, it will take 5 times that long to get any strength back.
  • Morphine is good--and bad--real bad.
  • Learning to make my legs walk again looks very similar to when I learned to walk the first time.
  • Being sick and taking tons of medicine messes with your mind and your emotions.
  • Good nurses are your good friends.
  • Good doctors are the best.
  • You find out who your friends are.
  • You find out that you have more friends than you thought.
  • You find out who really loves you.
  • You owe most everybody a thank you card for prayers, thoughts, cards, calls, flowers, visits (or 2 or 12), food, house cleaning, lawn mowing, and errand running, but you're afraid to send them lest you leave something unsaid or unthanked.
  • Pain is a strong motivator--and a strong deterer.
Enough wisdom for now. I'm getting pretty tired. I'll write more when I can.

No comments: