Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Moose Tale


When Brit and J. P. first started dating, he took us and Shanda on a tour of the big ranch house. In the lofty living room, a moose head watched the center of activity. He was quite large with a solemn face (the moose, that is.)

As we passed by, J. P. led the troop and he casually said, “See that old moose? I shot him down in the bottom last year.”

Shanda replied, “Really? That’s neat!” There was an awkward silence as she and Brit envisioned him bagging that moose.

Because I really didn’t know J. P. very well at all at that time, I hesitated, but I finally blurted out, “Shanda, he’s lying to you.”

She whipped around surprised at what she’d heard! Since she knew him much better than me, she couldn’t believe that I’d say something like that right there in front of him. She totally trusted J. P. You see, she had swallowed his story: hook, line, and sinker.

Youth! They’ll believe anything.

No comments: