Last week, I had an opportunity to see an old friend, Peggy, who lives three hours away. She and her mother, Betty, came to visit my mother in the hospital.
Although we keep in touch by e-mail, we haven’t seen each other in several years, but it was like we had never been apart. In just a very few minutes, we were all caught up. She brought pictures of her son and her extended family.
Her parents moved to the Lamkin area when she was a very small child. Her dad ran a ranch here until they moved back to
Peggy has an older brother, Bobby, who is between my brothers in age. The boys were always close and had tons of fun together. I thought it was neat that their names were Johnny, Betty, Bobby, and Peggy. You know, double letters and all.
Anyway, when Peggy was learning to talk, she couldn’t say my name. She called me “Bun”. Her dad perpetuated the name and needless to say, it stuck.
Peggy is the only person I know who got married and her last name never changed.
Even though they were only here for a day, we vowed not to let time pass so long before seeing each other next time. I hope we stick to it.




No comments:
Post a Comment